Before you can decide on a hot tub or swim spa to bring home, it’s important to ensure you have the proper space first. Below, we’ll provide you with what you need to know about how much space is required for hot tubs and swim spas and share some insights on choosing the perfect spot for your new spa.
Making Room for Your Hot Tub or Swim Spa
Wondering how much space you need for your hot tub or spa? The answer will depend on the size of the model you’re looking at. Knowing the exact measurements of the model you want can help you decide if it can fit comfortably in your home. To give you an idea of the range of sizes you might encounter, most hot tubs are around 7 by 7 feet to 8 by 8 feet. Swim spas come in bigger sizes
, and they’re around 8 feet wide and 12 to 21 feet long on average. If you want to learn more about the different size options for hot tubs and swim spas, you can also consult a spa dealer near you.
Making sure you have enough space around your hot tub or swim spa is also essential. You and your guests should be able to walk around the spa comfortably. Having an area to entertain near the spa can also make your backyard more inviting. It’s also important to have extra space around your hot tub or swim spa for easy maintenance access. If you’re planning to install a hot tub, leave at least 2.5 feet of space around all sides and the back panels. Swim spas should ideally have about 3 feet of space on all sides. You might have to adjust these numbers accordingly depending on your landscaping plans.
What to Consider When Choosing Where to Put Your Spa
Now that you have an idea of the space requirements for your hot tub or swim spa, you can start looking for the perfect spot in your backyard. Here are some of the things to consider when finding the ideal spa placement:
- Ensure there’s a stable foundation – Wherever you decide to install your spa, make sure there’s a stable foundation for it. You can choose from a concrete slab, gravel, paver stones, or a wooden deck. The right foundation will help ensure that your hot tub or swim spa is stable and secure.
- Place the spa near a dedicated power source – The spot you choose should be close to an accessible power source. There should also be enough space to safely install wiring and other electrical components.
- Check if there’s space for plumbing and drainage – Your hot tub or swim spa will need to be connected to a water source and have a place for drainage. This could mean running pipes and hoses to the spa, so make sure you have enough space for them.
- Consider your privacy – When selecting where to install your spa, consider how much privacy you’ll have when using it. The spot should also meet any applicable local codes and regulations.
- Factor in the view – It’s nice to have a spot that has a scenic view. Try not to place the spa in an area where it could get too much sun or wind exposure, as these can be uncomfortable for spa users.
- Make accessibility a priority – If you have older family members or guests, try to make sure that the hot tub or swim spa is easy for them to access. It’s also a good idea to have it close to your house or an easily accessible bathroom.
Knowing how much space you need for a hot tub or spa and what factors to consider will help make the process easier and help you bring your dream backyard space to life.
Download our free buyer’s guide for more information on choosing the best spa for your home.